Dear members, coordinators and supporters,
We are pleased to announce that we have secured free Public Liability Insurance for all Neighbourhood Watch and Home Watch schemes across England and Wales to enable volunteers to carry out their roles.
The policy starts from the 1st April 2013 and will run until the 31st March 2014.The policy covers any scheme registered with an Authority recognised or verified by the Neighbourhood and Home Watch Network. This includes the police service, the local authority or constituted Neighbourhood Watch Associations.
There will be no need for each police force or Neighbourhood Watch Association to register with the policy holder (NHWN) or the broker (Towergate Insurance). In an event of a claim it will be for the Scheme or Association to evidence how they are recognised as a NHW Scheme or Association in line with local policies and procedures or within their constitution.
What is covered?
- If any of your activities cause injury to third parties or damage to third party property the insurer will cover claims arising for up to £5 million per claim occurring during the insured period.
- The insurance applies for activities which are undertaken with your full knowledge, authority and under your control in line with good practice procedures and adhering to all relevant local policies and practices.
- The erection and maintenance of signs and posters, including whilst erecting, is covered providing that the lower edge of the sign is not less than 2.1 metres above the footway.
- Neighbourhood and Home Watch events, street parties and Neighbourhood and Home Watch stands at other peoples events are covered provided they are not prohibited by any exclusion criteria
- The cover is also for other Wider Watches, Junior NHW and Speed Watch, if incorporated into a NHW Scheme or Association and local policies and practices are adhered to
- There is no age restriction (upper or lower) placed on the cover.
For more details about what is covered and what is not covered by the policy, please download the PLI Policy Summary document. General questions are also addressed in the PLI Frequently Asked Questions document. The certificate for proof of cover can be downloaded from the Members Area on our site.